In my professional career as a paper conservator, I have researched artists' materials, techniques, photography and technology, and have incorporated that knowledge into my work. Polaroid images have been my recent focus. They have a dream-like, painterly quality that evoke a distant time and place. The unique characteristics, or 'artifacts', of the developed, or partly developed Polaroid print are part of its charm. I am never quite sure of the result. I engage with nature to create my images, and use a combination of vintage and contemporary Polaroid film with a vintage camera, scan the images and digitally manipulate to depict a narrative about the natural world. The photographs are a marriage between analog and digital. My inkjet, printed images are on Japanese kozo papers. These papers have lovely translucency and rich fibrous surfaces that become integral elements of the artworks.
Education and Experience:
• Master's degree from Columbia University in the City of New York in Book and Paper Conservation.
• Studied Art History and Studio Art at the University of Maryland in College Park
• Professional career as paper conservator at the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery, Washington, DC
• Professional Associate of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works
• Member of Pyramid Atlantic Arts Center, Hyattsville, Maryland
• Member of Washington Women’s Caucus for Art of Greater Washington
• METHODICAL: Annual Juried Member's Exhibition, June 8 - July 13 2018, Pyramid Atlantic Arts Center, 4318 Gallatin Street, Hyattsville, Maryland 20781
• Hill Center Galleries Regional Juried Exhibition, June 27 - September 22, 2018 921 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, Washington DC, 20003
• Glen Echo 48th Annual Labor Day Art Show, September 1-3 2018, Glen Echo, Maryland 20812
• Cooley Gallery, Group Exhibition: Women’s Art Caucus, DC Chapter, September 7- 30, 2018, Leesburg, Virginia 20176
· Hill Center Galleries Regional Juried Exhibition, January 10-March 2, 2019, Hill Center at Old Naval Hospital, 921 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20003
· Night: The 28th Annual Strathmore Juried Exhibition, January 12–February 17, 2019, Strathmore Hall Foundation, Inc. in the Gudelsky Gallery Suite at the Mansion at Strathmore, 10701 Rockville Pike, North Bethesda, MD 20852
· The Naked Print: A Juried National Photography Exhibition, January 17-February 15, 2019, Rhode Island Center for Photographic Arts, Second Floor, 118 North Main Street, Providence, RI 02903
· Photowork 2019: 32nd Annual National Juried Photography Exhibition, February 9 -March 23, 2019, Barrett Art Center, 55 Noxon St., Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
· TREEmendous Juried Exhibition, March 7- April 28, 2019, Hill Center at Old Naval Hospital, 921 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20003
· Reflections on Light, Small Works: A Selection from the Women’s Caucus for Art, DC, MD, & VA, March 9- April 8, Lavinia Wohlfarth Gallery 3418 9th St NE, Washington, DC
· Camera USA 2019, National Photography Exhibition, June 3-July 5, Naples Art Association, Naples, Florida
· MASH UP: Pyramid Atlantic Art Center Members Exhibition, April 26 - May 26, Hyattsville, Md,
· BIG little Art SHOW: Atomic Books in Hampden, May3 - May31, Baltimore, MD
· Change/Transformation, Women’s Caucus for Art of Greater Washington, June 12-July 6, Waverly Street Gallery, Bethesda, Md.